sobota, 6 stycznia 2024

A review of Savage „Demo 1”

 

Savage

"Demo 1"

Dawnbreed Rec. 2023

 

What the fuck? What year is this? Believe it or not, but when I turned this debut demo by the Dutch crew on, I momentarily had to look at the calendar. I also took the opportunity to look in the mirror to see if I'm still old and ugly, or if some hick wizard played a prank on me and let me experience life anew. Alas, it's still two thousand and twenty-four and my spine is acheing every morning. "Demo1", so simply titled is the material that was released late last year, but by some strange coincidence it just missed me. It contains three tracks closing in on eleven minutes. As for the music itself... I'll be brief and to the point. Here we have total Entombed worship from the period of the first and second albums. Sweden in full dimension. You will say that in this genre everything has already been played, so there is no reason to bother with another clone of the classics. Well, you are mistaken! Because Savage, even if they are ripping off the Swedes, and they are, they do it with such class that practically every track on "Demo 1" could easily be on "Left Hand Path". And I'm not fucking kidding at all. I don't see the point of doing a lecture here on the distinctive sound, punchy rhythm, over-the-top solos or heavy, guitar harmonies with the Boss HM-2W sound. I won't mention the massive slowdowns and just the right dose of melody, because it's all here, and played at a level worthy of the creators of the genre. But I'll add that even the way of singing and the vocal timbre can also be very strongly associated with L-G Petrov. But despite all these, almost obtrusive, similarities, I claim with full consciousness that this is one of the best Swedish death metal played since "Clandestine". And the most surprising is that the person behind this project is Michel Jonker (Entrapment, Inhumanised, Absorbed and a few more), whose work has never brought me to my knees. Get this tape at all costs, because this is truly a fucking killer!

- jesusatan

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz